We educate and equip ourselves and our community to preserve our rural and agricultural quality of life while encouraging responsible growth.
To do that we:
- Hold government agencies and industry accountable to local citizen concerns.
- Encourage development that preserves the agricultural integrity and health of Stillwater Valley.
- Protect our ranchers and farmers from being exploited by the meatpacking industry.
- Encourage responsible development projects that keep the valley a good place to live and work by involving the community in decision-making, respecting the needs of agriculture and other businesses.
- Help maintain the ecological and aesthetic qualities of the valley by participating in regular clean-up efforts on its roads and waterways.
- Work with local and state officials to encourage responsible growth that respects the valley’s rural and agricultural integrity.
Issues We Work On
Good Neighbor Agreement
Stillwater Protective Association, Northern Plains Resource Council, Cottonwood Resource Council, and Stillwater Mining Company negotiated and continue to maintain the Good Neighbor Agreement (GNA). It is the only legally binding agreement between citizen groups and a hard-rock mining company in the world. Since 2000, the GNA has promoted socially responsible business practices and protected two pristine Montana rivers through the following:
- Developing Water Quality Adaptive Management Plans (AMP) for each mine site, which implement a proactive and precautionary approach that goes above and beyond state and federal requirements to keep the Stillwater and East Boulder Rivers healthy and pristine.
- Regularly reviewing water quality data to monitor and advocate for the maintenance and health of the Stillwater River watershed.
- Coordinating with the mine to reduce traffic.
- Limiting the mine’s footprint on the Beartooth Plateau.
- Providing for the clean up of mine waste and other industrial hazards.
Benefits of Membership
By joining you can:
- Advocate for clean air and water, family farms and ranches, and responsible development.
- Help us identify and work on issues of concern in our community.
- Receive reliable and timely information through newsletters, e-mail alerts, fact sheets, reports, and more.
- Help assure the continuing success of the Good Neighbor Agreement.
Stillwater Oversight Committee Representatives
Stillwater Technical Committee Representative
Stillwater Oversight Committee Alternates
Northern Plains Board Representatives