Carbon County Resource Council is a group of concerned citizens advocating responsible use of resources and finding solutions to problems that affect our unique quality of life. To do that we:
- Gather and disseminate accurate information to educate the public through our newsletter, phone trees, letters, our website, and public forums;
- Mobilize citzens to take action on issues of concern and actively participate in the public process.
Water Quality in Rock Creek
We are currently working to collect baseline physical, chemical, and biological data to assess long term water quality conditions in the Rock Creek Watershed. An objective is to educate people and local governments about water quality and to provide information that supports informed land use decisions.
Issues We Work On
We work to expand energy efficiency and clean energy opportunities in Carbon County. Currently, we are working with other local organizations to get C-PACE implemented in Carbon County.
We work to expand access to local food in Carbon County and educate residents about the benefits to our health, our climate, and our communities when we choose local first.
Oil and Gas
We work to ensure local residents, water, and soil are protected during oil and gas development by working to pass appropriate reforms.
History and Accomplishments
We are proud of our work over the past 25 years, including:
- Securing a public survey and county-wide vote on a proposed airport for Red Lodge.
- Raising awareness around energy efficiency, smart growth, soil health, “free trade,” and other issues facing family farmers and ranchers.
- Working with county officials to expand recycling opportunities in Carbon County.
- Monitoring development projects in the county to ensure compliance with local growth policies and other state and federal natural resouce protection laws.
- Securing protections in Carbon County’s Development Regulations that give landowners the right to receive baseline water testing, a 750-foot minimum distance (or “setback”) of oil and gas development from homes, and dust control on roads.