Cottonwood Resource Council safeguards for future generations the high quality of life we enjoy in Sweet Grass County, clean air and water, abundant wildlife, and a heritage of cooperation among neighbors.
To do that, we:
- Monitor existing and potential development of Sweet Grass County’s resources.
- Organize local citizens to promote a clean and healthful environment and active participation in local issues.
Issues We Work On
Good Neighbor Agreement
Since helping to negotiate the Good Neighbor Agreement with the Stillwater Mine in 2000, Cottonwood Resource Council members have worked to protect the Boulder River Valley by keeping mine traffic low, water quality pristine, and mine operations out of the valley.
Learn more about The Good Neighbor Agreement.
Cottonwood Resource Council believes that local food is good for our health and the Big Timber community. CRC members are working to make Montana stronger by supporting producers and eating our uniquely healthy and tasty local food.
History and Accomplishments
- Participation in negotiation and enforcement of the ground-breaking Good Neighbor Agreement with Stillwater Mining Company.
- Participation in defending the Hard Rock Mining Impact Act against efforts to weaken it so that local communities will not bear the costs of sudden growth from new mines.
- Keeping the community informed about East Boulder Mine issues through articles, panel discussions, and public forums.
- Protecting water quality in Sweet Grass County.
- Participation in efforts to reform the 1872 Mining Law, with several members going to Washington, D.C. to testify in the past.
- Worked on better regional planning, including promoting the idea of hiring a county planner; held informational public presentations on examinations of our master plan; worked tirelessly on the master plan.
- Served as watchdog on the local Lodestar Gold mine and worked with government agencies to hold the mine and mill site accountable to existing laws.
Good Neighbor Agreement Representatives
Northern Plains Board Representative