Yellowstone Valley Food Hub General Manager
About the Yellowstone Valley Food Hub:
The Yellowstone Valley Food Hub links Montana farmers and ranchers to consumers and institutions in south-central Montana to provide healthy, sustainably produced foods. This creates new markets for independent, family-scale food producers while making wholesome foods more accessible to area residents.
The General Manager is responsible for proposing and executing decisions related to the ongoing operation of the Food Hub, implementing the business plan, recruiting farmers and ranchers to participate, engaging and securing more wholesale accounts, overseeing the marketing strategy, and fundraising. The General Manager is the only staff of the Food Hub until it grows into a profitable organization.
The General Manager is a full-time, salaried position and is considered a professional administratively exempt position. He/she must use his/her independent judgment to develop and execute strategies to achieve the organization’s goals. The Food Hub General Manager is accountable to the Food Hub’s Board of Directors.
- The General Manager (GM) must have a passion for food and agriculture, and a belief in the importance of a local food system.
- The GM must be committed to the cooperative business model.
- The GM would ideally have experience working with a Food Hub, or other food purchasing or distribution background, or otherwise have a professional background in food or agriculture.
- Sales experience, especially to restaurants, etc.
- Financial skills, business management experience or education are desired.
- Individual must be personable, a “people person.”
- Marketing skills – both print and digital.
- Attention to detail and strong time management skills are a must.
- Good driving record, reliable car, and driver’s license.
- Food safety training and certification a plus.
- Experience with Local Food Marketplace is a plus.
- Work closely with our core set of producers, visiting their operations and learning their products.
- Overall financial responsibility, including administrative duties like filing necessary forms, reports, taxes, etc.
- Know and uphold food laws, food safety standards.
- The GM must thoroughly learn the uniqueness of our region and its food supply, demand, and potential.
- Organize/hold producer, board, and general membership meetings (in conjunction with Board Chair)
- Develop new buyer accounts (restaurants, etc).
- Receive and organize food drop-offs.
- Coordinate deliveries, and do a lot of the delivery until the Food Hub has grown enough to hire out. Food products are coming from up to 90 miles away. Distribution area currently focused on Billings/Red Lodge/Absarokee.
- Oversee marketing and communications.
- Manage a software platform for sales.
- Maintain positive relationships with producers and the community.
- Recruit and retain more farmers and ranchers to sell through the Food Hub.
- Organize community events that would help get the word out and expand the customer base.
- Fundraise to secure the financial viability of the Food Hub, including grant writing.
- Eventually, hire, train, and supervise other Food Hub staff.
Compensation: $40,000.00 – $49,000.00 per year, depending on experience
Please email the following to Maggie Gordon (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Cover letter (tell us why you want the job)
- Three professional references