“This thriving citizens organization exemplifies the ideal of public involvement in public processes.”
– Billings Gazette
For 47 years, the Northern Plains Resource Council has helped Montanans organize to protect water quality, family farms and ranches, and our unique quality of life.
LOCATION: Billings, Montana
Each of our organizers works with Northern Plains as a whole, with our locally-based affiliate groups, (mostly in small, rural communities), and with our issue task forces. Overnight travel averages perhaps 2-3 times a month. As a Northern Plains Organizer, you won’t be tied to a desk, you’ll meet lots of people, and you’ll make change happen at the grassroots level. Check out our website for more information on the organization:
This is a permanent, salaried, and exempt position.
SPECIFIC DUTIES INCLUDE:
- Plan, coordinate, and implement strategy on issue campaigns
- Conduct research
- Participate in grassroots fundraising efforts
- Train members in organizational skills
- Organize meetings and events
- Communicate clearly, orally and in writing
- Recruit new members
- Generate turnout for events
- Help members in their contacts with public officials and the press
- Assist with duties such as member renewal, special events, and routine office tasks
- Help produce earned media in the form of letters to the editor and press coverage
- commitment to Northern Plains’ issues and values
- ability to get along well with people from diverse backgrounds
- strong speaking and writing skills
- ability to travel and be away overnight
- willingness to work long hours when needed.
- experience (either as a volunteer or staffer) with a nonprofit organization working for social change or on environmental issues
- experience in a political campaign
- general familiarity with the workings of legislative bodies and agencies
- familiarity with conservation and agriculture issues
- experience with the media and fundraising
This is very much a “people” job.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
$31,000- $35,000 starting salary, depending on experience; health insurance; 4 weeks paid vacation; pension program; 8 paid holidays, paid sick leave; flex time, opportunity for advancement, sabbatical program after 5 years of employment.
Applications will be received and reviewed on a rolling basis. Position open until filled. Early applications encouraged to apply.
Email the following to Sydney Ausen, Sydney@northernplains.org:
- Cover letter (tell us why you want the job)
- Short writing sample
- Contact information for 3 professional references