Agriculture Communications Intern Summer 2020
“This thriving citizens’ organization exemplifies the ideal of public involvement in public processes.”
For forty-eight years, Northern Plains Resource Council has organized Montana’s citizens to protect water quality, family farms and ranches, and our unique quality of life.
Learn more about us by touring the rest of our website: northernplains.org.
Northern Plains seeks a summer Agriculture Communications Intern to work within our organization to achieve the objectives laid out by Northern Plains’ leadership. The Agriculture Communications Intern will primarily assist with our annual Local Food Challenge.
About the Local Food Challenge:
The Montana Local Food Challenge is statewide and challenges Montanans to eat local every day in August. We believe choosing local food first is good for our health, our climate, and our communities. The Challenge is free to sign up, and participants do so online. Our digital and earned media work, along with in-person outreach events, are critical to its success.
- To improve participation in and outreach efforts for our 5th Annual Montana Local Food Challenge through digital content, earned media, and events hosted by Northern Plains and our local affiliates.
- Experience and high proficiency with social media like Facebook and Instagram
- Commitment to Northern Plains’ issues and values
- Ability to get along well with people from diverse backgrounds
- Strong writing skills
- Ability to travel and be away overnight occasionally
Duties & Assignments:
- Organized communications and media plan for the 2020 Montana Local Food Challenge
- Daily Facebook and Instagram posts
- Weekly email to Local Food Challenge Participants
- Organize letters-to-the-editor campaign, press releases, and outreach event coverage
- #mtlocalfoodchallenge photos on our website, social media, and outreach materials
- Communications and support for Local Food Challenge events in rural and urban communities
- Possible: farmer, rancher, and local food business stories (including pictures) through in-person visits, or phone calls if necessary, to post on our pages and build a Montana local food narrative.
Location: Billings, Montana
Travel: Reimbursement of on-the-job travel
Salary and Hours: $12-14 per hour (we can also discuss possible college credit arrangements); 10-20 hours/week, Monday – Friday from June 1 – August 28*
*Ideally this candidate will work 10 hours per week in June, 20-30 hours per week in July, and 10-20 hours per week in August
Applications will be received and reviewed on a rolling basis. Position open until filled. Early applications encouraged to apply.
Email the following to Caroline Canarios, email@example.com:
- Cover letter (tell us why you want the internship)
- Short social media post sample (about the Local Food Challenge)
- Contact information for one reference